INFORMATION PERTAINING TO RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT 2005
Section 4(1) (b) of the Act casts an obligation on each public authority to publish within expiry of 120 days from the commencement of the Act, manuals on the following seventeen items.
The Right to Information Act 2005 – A User’s Guide
1. The particulars of its organization, functions and duties :
Environment Protection Training & Research Institute (EPTRI) has been set up as an independent registered society in 1992 by the Government of Andhra Pradesh with the assistance of the Government of India. Government of India also facilitated the bilateral assistance for technical collaboration between EPTRI and Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA).
EPTRI is run by a Board of Governors with the Chief Secretary to Government of Telangana as its Chairman. The Board of Governors has representatives drawn from Central and State Government functionaries.
EPTRI, as a concomitant of environment protection, generates various activities covering environmental issues related to industry, protected areas, bio-diversity, urban agglomeration, environmental awareness, human resource development, capacity building and research, etc. It serves as a premier agency in advising the State Pollution Control Boards, and respective Governments in fixing environmental standards for the industry, in creating awareness and sensitivity and in the cause of its advocacy. An important function is sustainability in development and to reserve the traditions of communities, the flora and fauna of the region, document ethno knowledge and biodiversity.
EPTRI is an independent and autonomous body. It does not get any financial assistance from the State or Central Governments, and functions on its own, through projects and programmes for national and international organizations.
The main objective of EPTRI is to provide training, consultancy, applied research services and advocacy in the area of environment protection to industry, regulatory bodies, Government and NGOs etc.
EPTRI has the following functional divisions:
1. Environmental Engineering and Management (EEM)
2. Environment and Sustainable Development (ESD)
3. Environmental Quality Mapping (EQM)
4. Environment Information System (ENVIS)
6. Training and Capacity Building
7. Climate Change
2. Powers & Duties of Officers and Employees :
Board of Governors
EPTRI is governed by the Board of Governors. The Chief Secretary is the Chairman of the Board of Governors. The Board consists of Vice Chairman and representatives of Government of Telangana and Government of India. All policy matters relating to functioning of the organization are decided by the Board of Governors.
The Executive Committee consisting of DG, EPTRI (Chairman), Principal Secretary, Finance Department, Member Secretary, TSPCB, Head CSIR-NEERI, Zonal Centre, Hyderabad and Principal Secretary, I&CAD Department (Board nominee). The Executive Committee is vested with the powers of taking all policy decisions, appointments, financial & other functions as per the rules of EPTRI.
Chief Executive of the organization and in-charge for the management of the organization as per the financial and administrative powers delegated to the post.
3.The procedure followed in the decision making process, including channels of supervision and accountability:
EPTRI is functioning under the overall control and supervision of the Board of Governors. Next to the Board the Executive Committee has vested powers to create and man the posts besides having other administrative powers vested as per Memorandum of Association. The Director General, EPTRI is the Chief Executive of the organization and all other Senior Officers and others are under the control of the Director General.
4. The norms set by it for the discharge of its functions:
The organization functions as per EPTRI’s rules and regulations and as per the decisions of the Board of Governors.
5. The Rules, Regulations, Instructions, Manuals and Records, held by it or under its control or used by its employees for discharging its functions:
EPTRI follows the rules and regulations as per the terms and conditions mentioned in the appointment orders of officers and staff at the time of their appointments. Most of the appointments are made on contract basis which are project specific with the approval of the Executive Committee and Board of Governors. The core work of EPTRI is handled by the officers and staff recruited on contract basis.
6. A statement of the categories of documents that are held by it or under its control:
All the documents related to the functions and duties of the EPTRI are available with the EPTRI. These documents are accessible to the public through the APIO, PIO & Appellate Authority. EPTRI is basically a consulting organization and all the reports, studies etc are the property of the clients.
7. The Particulars of any arrangement that exists for consultation with, or representation by the members of the public in relation to the formulation of its policy or implementation thereof:
All the Policy decisions are placed before the Board of Governors for their approval. The representations of the public pertaining to EPTRI / specific complaints are enquired into by the concerned officers and redressed.
8. A statement of the boards, councils, committees and other bodies consisting of two or more persons constituted as its part or for the purpose of its advice, and as to whether meetings of those boards, councils, committees and other bodies are open to the public, or the minutes of such meetings are accessible for public:
EPTRI is an independent and autonomous organization. The decisions of the Board of Governors and the Executive Committee are business and administrative decisions. The Minutes of the Board meetings and Executive Committee meetings are circulated to all the Members.
EPTRI does not deal with the Public directly. It only executes studies, implement programmes, preparation of project reports, conduct analysis sponsored by government departments, government organizations, national and international organizations, industries, NGOs etc. Therefore, the reports pertaining to all the studies undertaken by EPTRI are the sole property of the agency concerned.
9. A Directory of its officers and employees:
A directory of officers and employees (Section 4 (1)(b)(ix) is in. Annexure
Monthly remuneration received by officers and employees (Section 4 (1)(b)(x) is in Annexure
10. The budget allocated to each of its agency, indicating the particulars of all plans, proposed expenditure reports and on disbursements made:
EPTRI does not get any budgetary from the Government. It is a self-financing organization based on programmes and projects executed.
11. The manner of execution of subsidy programmes, including the amounts allocated and the details of beneficiaries of such programmes:
EPTRI does not execute any subsidy programmes sponsored by Government. However, some financial assistance is being extended to some NGOs for conducting Environmental Awareness Programmes for creating awareness in the public which is raised by EPTRI from various organizations as grant for this purpose.
12. Particulars of recipients of concessions, permits or authorizations granted by it:
Does not arise, as EPTRI is not a regulatory authority.
13. Details in respect of the information, available to or held by it, reduced in an electronic form:
The update information of the functions and objectives of EPTRI and other information are available in the website www.eptri.telangana.gov.in for public information
14. The particulars of facilities available to citizens for obtaining information, including the working hours of a library or reading room, if maintained or public use :
The facilities of seeking general information and activities of EPTRI are available to the public during the office hours and also in the EPTRI’s website.
15. The Names, designations and other particulars of the Public Information Officers:
Furnished in Annexure
16. Such other information as may be prescribed and thereafter update these publications every year
Updation will be undertaken as and when needed.